Breakfast Cookies with Bacon
I made some breakfast cookies when I was in high school and still remember how great they were (but, alas, I do not have that recipe any longer). I stumbled across this recipe however, and it satisfies what I was looking for – a combination between salty/savory and sweet. You could even add a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup for another “breakfast” flavor. Another option would be to toss in 1/4 cup of oatmeal to give them a chewier texture (then eliminate the extra 2 TBSP of flour if you do that). Note: my recipe made roughly 2 dozen – double the recipe if you have a big crowd.
12 oz bacon, cooked and chopped
1⁄2 cup butter
3⁄4 cup sugar
1⁄4 cup raisins, optional
1 cup plus 2 TBSP flour
1⁄4 tsp baking soda
2 cups corn flakes
Course sea salt for sprinkling
- Cook bacon till crisp – then break into small pieces.
- Beat together butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Beat in egg.
- Combine dry ingredients, and mix into butter mixture.
- Add the crumbled bacon, corn flakes, and raisins (if using), and stir in with a spoon.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle each ball with sea salt.
- Bake 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Cool 1 minutes, then move to a wire rack.