Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
Yet another dish that needs to be made ahead – love that. So ALL the busy work is done the day before your tailgate. All that’s left on the day of your event is to throw it in the oven and serve.
1 cup (about 4 ounces) grated Gruyère cheese, divided
3/4 cup sour cream, divided
1 1/2 cups chopped onion, divided
3/4 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 (20-ounce) package refrigerated shredded hash browns
1/4 cup canola oil
2 1/2 oz. pancetta, chopped
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 1/4 cups whole milk
5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Combine 1/2 cup cheese, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1 egg in a large bowl, stirring to combine. Stir in hash browns.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; spread hash brown mixture into pan, and cook 7 minutes or until browned on one side.
- Drizzle hash brown mixture with remaining 2 tablespoons oil; flip with a spatula, and cook 7 more minutes or until browned on the second side. Spoon evenly into the bottom of a lightly greased 3-quart baking dish.
- Add pancetta to skillet over medium-high heat; cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes.
- Add red bell pepper and remaining 1 cup onion; cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes.
- Whisk together milk, 5 eggs, remaining 1/2 cup cheese, remaining 1/2 cup sour cream, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a medium bowl. Stir pancetta mixture into egg mixture, and pour over hash browns.
- Cover with aluminum foil, and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake, covered, 50 minutes or until top is browned and eggs are set.
Categories: Sides & Salads Tags: