Flank Steak Sandwiches with Blue Cheese
(Adapted from My Recipes)
For the sandwiches:
2 large sweet onions
4 TBSP extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 red bell peppers
6 (2- to 3-oz.) ciabatta or deli rolls, split
5 oz soft ripened blue cheese
1 1/2 cups loosely packed arugula
Herb-Marinated Flank Steak
~ 6 TBSP mayonnaise
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 TBSP chopped fresh basil
1 TBSP chopped fresh thyme
1 TBSP chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper
1 lemon (or 2 TBSP total juice)
1 3/4 pounds flank steak
- To marinate the steak: Place first 9 ingredients in a bowl and whisk together to combine.
- Place steak and marinade in a large zip lock baggie; seal bag, and chill several hours or overnight.
- Remove steak from marinade, discarding marinade.
- Preheat grill to 400 to 450 degrees F (high) heat. Grill steak, covered with grill lid, 9 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Remove from grill. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut across the grain into thin slices.
- Toss onion and red pepper strips in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Grill onion and bell pepper strips, covered with grill lid, over 400 to 450 degree F (high) heat 7 to 10 minutes on each side or until lightly charred and tender.
- Brush cut sides of rolls with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and grill, cut sides down, without grill lid, over high heat 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned and toasted.
- Place blue cheese pieces on cut sides of roll bottoms; top with arugula, bell pepper strips, steak, and onion. Spread mayonnaise on cut sides of roll tops. Place roll tops, mayonnaise sides down, on top of onion, pressing lightly.
Categories: Entrees Tags: