This is my new favorite breakfast. I’ve been making it for months now – I prepare it on a Sunday, and then it’s my “go-to” breakfast throughout the week. But it’s going to be perfect for this family getaway, because I can make/bake it in advance, and then when each person wakes up they can serve themselves and easily re-heat the oatmeal themselves. You can use any nut you want (I usually use sliced almonds) and any berry that you like. So so good!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F with a rack in the top third of the oven. Generously butter or spray with cooking spray the inside of an 8-inch square baking dish. In a bowl, mix together the oats, half the nuts, the sugar, if using, the baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, if using, the milk, egg, half of the butter, and the vanilla.
- Arrange the bananas in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle two-thirds of the berries over the top.
- Cover the fruit with the oat mixture.
- Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the oats.
- Gently give the baking dish a couple thwacks on the countertop to make sure the milk moves through the oats. Scatter the remaining berries and remaining walnuts across the top.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the top is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Drizzle the remaining melted butter on the top and serve. Sprinkle with a bit more sugar or drizzle with maple syrup if you want it a bit sweeter.