Cheese & Sausage Quiche
The great thing about making quiche for a tailgate party is that you can make it in advance a day or two. Takes the pressure off on those early morning tailgates for sure. I’m doubling the recipe for my tailgate crowd.
1 (1-lb.) package ground pork or turkey sausage (or one package of fully cooked sausage crumbles)
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion (I use Vidalia)
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 1/2 cups freshly shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 TBSP flour
1 (9-inch) frozen unbaked deep-dish piecrust shell
2 large eggs
1 cup evaporated milk
1 TBSP chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 8 to 10 minutes or until sausage crumbles. Remove from skillet; reserve 1 Tablespoon drippings in skillet.
***NOTE: if using precooked sausage, eliminate this step and use 1 TBSP butter to sauce the veggies in the next step.
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in hot drippings (or butter, if using precooked sausage) over medium-low heat 5-10 minutes or until tender.
- Stir together cheese, flour, sausage, onion, and bell pepper. Place piecrust shell on a baking sheet, and spoon mixture into piecrust.
- Whisk together eggs and next 5 ingredients in a bowl until smooth; pour over sausage mixture.
- Bake the quiche for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and set. Serve immediately or let cool a bit, then cover, and refrigerate up to 2 days.
Categories: Entrees Tags: