Mini Spinach & Mushroom Quiche
These mini-quiches are great to make ahead and freeze. Simply pop them into the oven (see below), and you’ve got a quick, healthy breakfast FAST!
6 strips (3 ounces) turkey bacon (prosciutto would also be great here)
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
10 oz white mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups baby spinach
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
4 large eggs
4 egg large whites
1/4 cup skim milk
1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated Fontina cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Mist a large nonstick skillet with more nonstick cooking spray and put over medium heat.
- Add the turkey bacon and cook turning frequently until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and coarsely chop.
- In the same skillet, heat the oil. Add the mushrooms, shallot, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until shallots are soft and the mushrooms are dry and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the baby spinach and nutmeg until the spinach is just wilted, but still bright green, 2 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, and salt and pepper until well combined.
- Stir in the cheese. Divide the egg mixture evenly between the muffin tins, filling them about halfway.
- Top evenly with the mushroom and spinach mixture and then the chopped bacon.
- Bake until the quiches are well risen, golden brown and set, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool in the pan 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
***NOTE: you can freeze these and serve later! Cool baked egg muffins. Cover and place on parchment paper covered baking sheets and freeze until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. To serve, place in a greased muffin pan, cover loosely with foil and reheat in the oven until heated through at 350 degrees F.
Categories: Breakfast Tags: