Warm Jalapeño Crab Dip
(Adapted from Recipe.com)
6 TBSP unsalted butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1 8 ounce container fresh lump crab meat, picked over, cartilage discarded
1 1/4 cups shredded sharp white cheddar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 jalapeños, seeds removed, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat and add garlic. Cook, stirring, until just fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in flour and slowly whisk in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in crab, 3/4 cup cheese and the juice.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons scallion and 1 tablespoon jalapeno; stir remaining scallion and jalapeno into crab mixture. Transfer to a 1-quart baking dish and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- At this point the dip can be refrigerated. Simply remove from the fridge, and then follow the rest of the instructions.
- Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes. Broil 6 inches from heat until golden and bubbly, 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with reserved scallion and jalapeno. Serve warm. Makes 2-1/4 cups.